The Need Statement
The need statement refers to the problem that you are addressing in your nonprofit organization. Specifically, the need statement refers to the problem you are addressing in grant applications. It is the purpose behind your proposal.
Here are some facts and questions for you to think about as you develop the need statement:
- What problem are you addressing in your organization or program?
- The need statement explains the importance or severity of the issue, problem, or opportunity that your organization is addressing.
- When writing a grant application, it is important to explain to the funder what the problem is, and why they should pay attention to it.
- Why is the issue you are addressing important to you and to the larger community and society?
- Why should this funder pay attention to this problem?
- How would solving this issue help those affected?
- How would solving this issue help the larger community and society?
- Why is the issue that you are addressing important RIGHT NOW? Why should the funder fund your proposal this time, rather than at a later date?
- Why should the issue you are addressing be addressed NOW?
- What information do you have to back up the issue, or need?
- Do you have research to back up the need?
- Do you have stories from the field that show the need?