A great way to create an impactful Board of Directors is to give clear expectations to new board members. Nonprofits have their by-laws, which should highlight board duties and responsibilities and each organization can also create board member contracts. These are set up to inform potential board members about their specific contributions to the organization and it also outlines what the organization and Executive Director will do in conjunction with the board member’s responsibilities.
Here is a sample Board Member Contract:
Dates of Term: ____________________________
As a member of the Board of Directors of __________________________, I have the responsibility to protect and further the mission and vision of the organization. I accept the mission of the organization and will act as its agent in carrying out the goals of the organization.
I understand that my duties and responsibilities include:
- Each year I will give a financial contribution to the organization that is meaningful to myself and the organization.
- I will actively participate and engage in fundraising for this organization. This includes participating in individual solicitation, special events, writing mail appeals, etc.
- I will attend __% of board meetings each year and be available according to my schedule for consultation at other times.
- I am responsible to protect and promote the mission and vision of this organization and will do all in my power to further the goals of the organization.
- It is my duty to actively participate in board meetings, bring important issues to the table, and help approve the annual budget.
- I will fundraise to meet the fiscal goals of the organization.
- I will hold the organization accountable for meeting the needs of our beneficiaries and implementing programs that match the organization’s mission.
- I will excuse myself from conversations and votes where I have a conflict of interest.
- I will work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners toward achievement of our goals.
If I do not fulfill these commitments to the organization, I will expect the board president to call me and discuss my responsibilities with me.
In turn, the organization is responsible to me in the following ways:
- The Executive Director and Board President will schedule regular board meetings and create an agenda.
- I will be sent quarterly financial reports and updates on organizational activities and programs.
- The organization will keep me informed about opportunities for me to help with fundraising events and programs in the organization.
- Board members and staff will speak openly about issues confronting the organization so we can stay informed as a united organization.
If the organization does not fulfill the responsibilities it has to me, I can call the Board President and Executive Director to discuss the organization’s responsibilities.
Board Member Signature